The CHRP Path
Below is the list of requirements to obtain and maintain the Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation through the Human Resources Management Association (HRMA):
Step 1: Association Membership
You must maintain an active membership with HRMA for the full course of the CHRP path. Member dues are payable annually. Should you decide to let your membership lapse, your CHRP application will be revoked and all previously-submitted requirements will be voided.
Learn more about membership.
Step 2: National Knowledge Exam
The National Knowledge Exam® (NKE) assesses your understanding of HR knowledge and skills.
Step 3: Degree Requirement
You must hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Step 4: Experience Requirement
Submit a completed experience assessment which is validated by your current employer. This assessment must prove:
- A minimum of three years working in an HR role within the last ten years. (At least one year must be within Canada.)
- Experience gained using technical HR knowledge and a level of autonomy in the application of your HR knowledge. It is not necessary to be a manager or supervisor.
- Experience covers at least two of the seven Required Professional Capabilities.
Step 5: Congratulations, you’re a CHRP!
Maintain your annual HRMA membership and recertify your CHRP every three years.
CHRP Fees and Dues
|CHRP Application Fee||$60|
|NKE Registration Fee||$275|
|NKE Prep Course (optional)||$285-$350|
|Experience Assessment Review Fee||$100|
|Experience Assessment Certification Fee||$400|
|Annual CHRP Dues||$105|
|CHRP Recertification Fee||$55|
- All fees and dues are subject to applicable taxes according to the member’s primary address. In BC and YT, all fees and dues are subject to 5% GST.
- Annual CHRP Dues become payable on the date a member is granted the CHRP designation.
- All CHRP fees and dues are in addition to Annual Member Dues.